Friday, November 28, 2008

"Having the time of my life"












Friday, November 28 – submitted by Cheryl Nethercott

Hi Everyone!

Today was an amazing day, filled with lots to see and do. We started our morning at 6:00am and worked until breakfast at 8:00 am. If the team was tired from the day before no one showed it and everyone put in 110 % in right from the get go. After breakfast we went to a high school graduation and were shown a hotel and reforestation projects that has great potential for the island’s future.

After the visiting the high school we all returned to our team jobsites and worked for a couple of hours before breaking for lunch. The afternoon was very good as we all accomplished a lot. By the end of the day we had completed pouring four concrete floors for four different families. Not only was it a great feeling to know that we accomplished that much in one day but to know that we did it together with our teammates and with the local community.


One of the best experiences I think I will ever have happened today. I was so scared before coming on this trip that the language barrier would prevent me from doing a good job or being able to have a conversation with people in Honduras, but man was I ever wrong! Today I learned that it doesn’t matter what country you come from or what language you speak; if there is a common goal you can do anything. I have never poured concrete in my life, let alone help a mason smooth the concrete and then level it off. We couldn’t speak to each other as we didn’t understand each other’s language, but we communicated with hand signals and whistles. I learned so much about the job from a man that I couldn’t say one thing to. It was so incredible, and I guess that sometimes the best teachers are the ones that don’t say anything at all.

I’m having the time of my life here; I couldn’t have asked to be part of a better team. Everyone here puts their heart and soul into everything that they do, whether it is working on the jobsite, talking to the people or just playing with the children. I honestly can’t wait to see what tomorrow will bring and what other lessons God is waiting to show us.

Just on a closing note that you all might enjoy back home.

On the way back to the hotel our taxi got a flat tire and the poor driver said that was the second one that day. The funny part was that it happened outside of a school, and the kids all stood watching all these crazy Canadians pointing, looking and taking pictures of this flat tire. So don’t worry we are representing Canada for all of you back home!!

Take Care,
Cheryl

No comments: