Monday, December 1, 2008

Pouring a very special floor


Monday, Dec. 1st
today’s entry is submitted by Auk Vandertuin

Hey guys, it’s me!

Today we all worked together pouring floors in four homes. It was a very long day, from 6 am to 6 pm, but we got it all done. The last floor was for a couple in their 80’s who have been married 68 years. They have three of their grandchildren living with them, including their 15-year-old granddaughter who has a 2-month-old baby. These people have almost nothing and the people of the village give them food and used clothing.

The Hondurans are a very friendly people and they help with the mixing of the cement and the pouring in the houses. There is a mason on the job at all times to supervise and teach.

The food here is good. Today for lunch we had mashed potatoes with a type of stew made with beef and green beans, and for dessert there was watermelon.

I really miss you all and even though I am really enjoying myself here, I am looking forward to being home again. I’m getting a really good tan because every day the sun shines.

Love to you all, Auk

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A wonderful insight into the lives of the people you went to Honduras to serve -- thank you for sharing this, Auk!