By Steve Fox
Why have I returned to Honduras for the third time?
It so hard to quantify. There are so many reasons. Some of them are for the Hondurans and some of them are for me.
After two weeks, as we prepare to leave to come back to Canada tomorrow, once again my head spins with the thoughts and emotions of what we have experienced here. We are so happy to see progress. There are improvements, and the people here are so grateful for what we have done.
So much of it is almost beyond comprehension, though. If I were not here to experience the truth and reality, I'm not sure that I would believe it.

The picture above shows part of a family, in their home. We were there to build a pila (outside cement structure to hold large amounts of water, since water only comes two days per week.
While we were there, we took the time to talk to and get to know the mother of the house. She has been married twice. The oldest girl in the picture is 15, who she had with her first husband. She remarried another man who waited until she had gone to work (she washes clothing at other people's places for small amounts of money), and the two younger children were at school and then he began systematically raping his 14 year old step daughter until she became pregnant. She went to the police who did not believe her. Finally, with the insistence of daughter and mom, step dad was arrested, but relatives bailed him out of jail after one week, not to be seen again.
Mom is now caring for and providing for 3 daughters, and soon a grandchild, working 3 days per week making about $300 per year. These people live on less than nothing. There are many days when none of them eat.
I've seen a lot here, but there are times, and this was one of them, when I often had to take a walk outside for a few minutes to let some tears out and then go back and continue our conversation and take some more pictures. Sometimes it is just too overwhelming to keep it inside. The stories are different, but no less tragic.
To say that I am grateful for how blessed I am would be an absurd understatement.
I share this so that you will contempate this, pray for the people and our work here in Honduras and El Salvador, and everyone (most of the people in this world) who have so much less than we do.
Over the last few years, as I have increased my involvement in this project, I find myself compelled to advocate for those less fortunate. We all know so many who are "in the trenches" full time...please support them.
I am so glad for my son, Jordan, working right beside me and for Corey and Victoria coming once each and helping too, and for the rest of my immediate and extended family and my team at the office who wholeheartedly support us.
I am so looking forward to being home, but leave part of my heart here, where I hope to return again soon.
As we head into the Christmas season, please take time to meet someone's needs less fortunate than you. I pray that God will richly bless you in return.
No comments:
Post a Comment